The Wind in the...  

Posted by BT

I spent the last three days of last week in Chicago, at Willow's Small Groups conference. There were five keynote speakers, and three of them were mediocre at best. But the other two...well, they were Donald Miller and Erwin McManus. And that was fine by me. One of my favorite thoughts from Erwin is the fact that we shouldn't be trying to get people into church, get them into our programs, etc. What we really should be trying to do is give people life. This was my favorite quote from Miller: "Sometimes God says to me, 'You make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I'll run the cosmos.'" Both men said things I needed to hear and things that reminded me of my vision for small groups ministry. I truly long for BCN to experience authentic, genuine, biblical community. It's going to be tough.

Jason went along on the trip with me, which was a lot of fun. He reads this, so I'm really just kissing up to him, but it was great spending some time with him and getting to know him a little better.

I recommend reading this article, which was published in Time magazine a couple weeks ago. Dave B. linked an article on his blog which alluded to this article. I concur with his analysis. Jason's message yesterday in EPIC was on materialism, and it included the scary quote from Terrell Owens' publicist last week in the wake of his pseudo-suicide attempt: "Terrell has twenty five million reasons for living." Wow.

There's also something interesting happening on October 15. We're looking into the possibility of organizing a Dayton gathering here at BCN that day. There are two gatherings scheduled in Ohio, one in Cincinnati and one in Columbus. An interesting method of going after a worthy cause, to be sure.

And the focus of Nazarene Compassionate Ministry Magazine's last issue was social justice. It contains some interesting stuff. You can subscrube to this magazine (I think it's free) here.

And the Cardinals ended up making the postseason after all. Baseball is a great game of hope. And hope is a good thing...

Hope things are going well for all of you. Really interesting reading today at James', Corbin's, Brandon's, and the Whartons' blogs, all linked to the right, not to mention some great fun pictures of my sister and her husband (notice the evil eyebrow look!) at her blog. Peace to all...

This entry was posted on 02 October 2006 at 10:37 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Anonymous  

I must admit that I was a little nervous when I realized that the last room in the hotel had only one king size bed. As far as my message goes, I give you credit for the culturally relevant stuff. It was nice having someone to discuss my message with all week. You can sleep in my bed anytime....or something like that.

8:22 AM

you were in Chicago? I was there Friday and Saturday at Wrigley. I thought I felt a presence...Willow is a far piece from where I was, but I trust you enjoyed McManus and Miller. He said something amazing when speaking at Mars Hill, and all I can say is he was talking about a diswashing liquid that would make everyone want to have sex with you.

seriously.

1:16 PM

I also thought I felt a presence. But it may have been the Italian sausage, which was so disappointing. I wish we could have gotten together.

Seriously.

8:13 AM

oh, my friend. next time--go to the city and find Gino's (East, West, whatever) and have the pizza. you will be a new creation, old pizza will be gone and new pizza will come.

by the by, Old Style is definitely the beer of the Cubs: it has about as much taste and finish as their bullpen.

most seriously.

9:18 AM

Jason and I asked as soon as we got into Wrigley what the best food there was, and EVERYONE (I mean without exception) told us the Italian Sausage. We couldn't believe how crappy it was. Later we saw some people with some yummy-looking Italian Sausage, and we realized there were two possibilities: 1) We got there too early and got the leftovers from the game before; and 2) They gave us the crappy stuff because I had a Cardinals hat on. We figured it was a combination of the two.

But, while in South Barrington, we did enjoy Giardino's pizza, which was both delicious and artery-hardening.

Most seriously indeed.

10:04 AM
Anonymous  

I think there sausage is corked too...

4:37 PM

Post a Comment