A New Book  

Posted by BT

Some of you probably don't know that, in addition to my regular job at Nazarene Headquarters and several part time jobs around the campus at MidAmerica (mostly pertaining to sports), I also am a freelance proofreader and copy editor. I primarily work for Youth Specialties, and many of my previous projects probably wouldn't be books I would normally pick up and read (for example, check this one out: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0310256801/qid=1125415985/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6775439-4819932?v=glance&s=books).

This week, however, I enjoyed a serendipitous moment as I opened my most recent project. You can see it by following the link above (nothing I've worked on is out yet...I think January is the earliest release date of anything I've done). It's called "The Church in Transition," by Tim Conder, and it is unbelievably, almost frighteningly, apropos for my current state of mind. It strongly addresses how we (1. Dare I include myself in the "emergent church?" 2. I think I think I'm not sure about that name) can share life with the existing church, regardless of how disillusioned we may be with it.

I'm really enjoying it so far. I hope some of you will read it when it is released in January, not because I worked on it, but because it's just pretty cool.

Now Reading: "The Bible Jesus Read," by Philip Yancey
Cardinals' Magic Number: 17

This entry was posted on 30 August 2005 at 10:28 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Book Description - Learn the secret power for girls contained in the book of 1 Peter. This interactive Bible study has tips on how to win, be happy, and look good while you get closer to Jesus.

I read 2 Peter a long time ago and found some "secret powers" of my own. I can play poker (win), eat a Carolina pulled pork sandwhich (be happy), and look like a million bucks (look good) all while saying various things about Jesus (like, "thank Jesus for this sandwhich"). Some might even say those are "super" powers for a select few but I believe it's there for the taking for everyone. Not girls though, they get 1 Peter.

Thanks Brad for giving me something to laugh about today!

4:39 PM

John beat me to quoting my favorite line from the description.
what is wrong with us? does anyone question why some people don't believe anything we say when we put out crap like that?
Sorry, I know that's not the point of your post BT but I just couldn't let it go.

10:40 AM

Here's the funny thing: The book description is totally inaccurate! I actually think Susie did a great job on the actual study of 1 Peter...She just picked a lousy title and let someone write a silly description.

10:43 AM

Post a Comment