Presently...  

Posted by BT

Inspired by a number of my friends who regularly practice this odd, public journal/soapbox, I thought I'd start a "blog" of my own. I don't know if this will work for me, but I'll give it a shot.

For starters, if you're wondering about the title, check out Ephesians 3:16-19. It is my "life passage," if there is such a thing.

Some of the things presently percolating:

1. The Old Testament is gaining meaning to me as I read Yancey's "The Bible Jesus Read."

2. I am thoroughly intrigued by the conversations that have been taking place among my friends (I hope they would call themselves my friends) regarding the emerging church (at least I think that's the buzz term these days). Also piquing my interest is all the political/religious right/anti-war talk. I have a few thoughts about this:

a) I have a friend who is considering a career as a navy chaplain. What place does chaplaincy have in the military?

b) My grandfather (Pops, hereafter) was in the navy and served in the second world war. I have a profound respect for Pops' faith journey, and am troubled by the anti-war sentiment (which I agree with, incidentally) and how his military involvement reflects on his faith. Any thoughts?

c) The "allegiance" discussion is what first drew me in, whether you can have allegiance to both a temporary country and an eternal Kingdom. I'm still wrestling with this one, but, suffice it to say, I'm further from the "religious right" than I've ever been.

This is a good start.

This entry was posted on 25 August 2005 at 1:02 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Welcome Brad, I hope that you are able to keep up with blogging so at the very least I can read what you’re thinking about.
I think a lot about allegiance too. Jenn and I just talked about how strange it is that we pledge allegiance to flags, both Christian and American. I don't think there is anything wrong with my pledging allegiance as long as I get to say, "unless it doesn't conflict with my allegiance to the kingdom of the heavens." There is so much that conflicts with the kingdom in America that it hard for me to find anything worthy of pledging my allegiance.

D

2:20 PM

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, as I stood and pledged allegiance to not only both flags but the Bible at the recent Kansas City District NYI Convention, I couldn't help but wonder what it was all for. I miss you, brother.

2:50 PM

Post a Comment